- Duke University researchers say if you do these simple-but somewhat weird-exercises regularly, you'll keep your brain nimble and ready for new challenges.
· Use your non-dominant hand as you go through your morning rituals, such as combing or styling your hair, getting dressed, brushing your teeth, and making your breakfast.
· Close your eyes as you shower and use your sense of touch to locate your soap and wash yourself. Your brain must then rely on your other four senses to complete the task.
· Turn the pictures on your desk or shelves upside down.
· Experience new sights and sounds by going to a new ethnic or farmer's market or bakery.
· When you travel abroad, immerse yourself completely in unfamiliar surroundings. For example, go to a small town where no one speaks your language, try new foods, and stay in a local bed-and-breakfast.
· Other neurobics activities you can do that break up your mental routine include rearranging your living, office, or desk space or take a different route to work or the mall.