Never underestimate the power of simple, tried and tested techniques. I’ve seen many people transform their lives and turn their chaotic to do lists into peaceful vehicles for success just by using a couple of these 7 proven and simple time management activities that I’m going to share with you.
1. Write everything down They say your head is the worst place to store something and I have to agree. Trying to store important information in your head doesn’t make any sense. Instead, write down important information so you can free up your head to focus entirely on the task at hand.
2. Prioritize Your To Do Lists Just simply making a to do list doesn’t work anymore. This is because with the technology advances, new information, data and tasks are coming at you faster than before and the old numbered to do lists just can’t handle the amount or the speed at which new priorities and tasks enter your life. Instead, try a prioritized to do list.
3. Look for the most important, the most fulfilling and the most profitable tasks The 80/20 rule is an important concept not only when it comes to manufacturing and sales but also when it comes to your time management and the amount of satisfaction you get from your activities. Which is why it is so important to understand and apply the 80/20 rule when it comes to getting more out of your life and becoming highly productive.
Always seek out the tasks that bring you the highest return, the greatest amount of satisfaction, the most results (based on whatever goals you’re working on) and focus your full attention on them.
4. Keep a journal While the correlation may not be self evident at first, keeping a journal is a great way to save tons of time. Simply note all the important things that you come across, make a list of things to do the next time you go on a vacation, make a list of things to do the next time you make a presentation etc and you can leverage the work you do once to find these resources over and over every time you need them.
5. Keep a time log A time log is very simple and yet a highly effective time management tool. Simply log in how you spend your day and you’ll see some interesting trends in your energy and productivity patterns. The time log will also help you remain accountable and see exactly where your time is going.
6. Review Your Goals and Efforts Review your goals every morning, this will give you the inspiration to break through procrastination and get working. Also review the efforts you make everyday – i.e. the amount of time you spend productively working towards your goals. This will help you see exactly where you are so you can find out how to get “there” from “here”.
7. Tackle Distractions One of the biggest hurdles to high productivity and effectiveness is distractions. Try to eliminate them before you set out to work on an important project. Turn off your phone, turn off the internet and guard your time – try to make sure that nothing will distract you from your most important tasks while you’re working on it.